Here are some specific examples of non-empathetic behavior in every day situations.
It’s important to note that everybody can have a “bad day” and be non-empathetic, so the true test is whether people consistently exhibit these types of behaviors.
- Being unnecessarily rude/condescending to waitstaff and help
- Apathy towards social injustices
- Being hypocritical – For example, being anti-union, except the union you’re in.
- Getting easily offended, especially by others who didn’t mean to offend
- Not opening/holding doors open for people behind
- Only contacting people when they need something
- Always turning the conversation around to be about themselves
- Being highly insecure and requiring regular validation